Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Christ With Me


I recently bought a new water bottle for work. It's pretty and I thought it might make drinking water more appealing. It also features a scripture passage that helps me through my day.
"I can do all things through Christ." Philippians 4: 13

We are undergoing major renovation and construction at work. The timeline and project details change constantly. Most of us don't know what to expect next or how it will affect us. With all the uncertainty comes anxiety and tension. We're packing up decades worth of resources and files and moving them to several different locations. Staff members are being displaced. A major source of stress is parking and safety now that our park garage is gone. My immediate supervisor is leaving and will be gone by April. We do not know who will be our temporary supervisor. Getting a permanent one may take a year or more. Who will "lead" us during this time of turmoil and change? How can I help my own staff when morale is so incredibly low?

As work pressures, chaos, and office politics threaten to overwhelm me, I know that Christ will see me through these stressful times. Now, I am not expecting Christ to turn me into some sort of superhero who can resolve all the conflicts. I know some people read the verse and the part after it that says "...who strengthens me," and think that means Christ is going to help them defeat their enemies, win the game, get a better job, or attain some other personal goal. 

"I can do all things" is not about me but rather about Christ being with me and supporting me through whatever my life brings. He will strengthen me so that I can accept decisions made by others, deal with frustration, and strive to make positive contributions. He will grant me wisdom so I can be encouraging and supportive of others. I will make it through this time of change (and all the other changes yet to come.) I will take comfort in that knowledge. I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens.

Printed with permission of Julie N. for St. Mark Presbyterian's 2015 Lenten Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment