Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Nativity

Matthew 2: 1-10

I still remember that one very special Christmas as a young boy, somewhere around the age of 9 or10.  As with most young children, Christmas had many meanings.  The magic of the anticipation of what toys Santa would bring had always played an important part of Christmas, but this year would be different.

The magic was centered around the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus.  Had this interest been inspired by a Sunday school teacher or through my parents, I am not sure.   I can still remember that the only present I had asked for was a nativity set.  I had become totally engulfed by the birth of Jesus.  I can remember running down the stairs to see if I had received that very important present that I had hoped for, and there it was in all its glory.  My parents had set it under the tree---it contained a stable and everything.  Being the special parents that my parents were, they had still bought me other presents they knew I would enjoy, but arranged the manger set to reflect the importance they knew it held for me.  In later years, it was always fun for me to add new people and animals to my set.  Whenever we would Christmas shop, I would always look for a special addition.  It was always my job to arrange the manger set under the tree.

Now in later years, I still remember that special morning and it still reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas.  Arranging the manger set is now a family tradition.  I have help from Barbara, Kevin, Martha and (soon) Andrew, to ensure that everything is in the proper place.  St. Mark has touched our family by adding the enjoyment of setting the manger up earlier and now we move the figures of Mary and Joseph and the wisemen across the room on their journey, and on Christmas morning we place the figure of baby Jesus in the manger.  Then on the following days, we see the shepherds and wise men arrive to help celebrate.

I still am able to live the excitement of my nativity set through the eyes of my children in what has continued to be a very special family tradition.

Reprinted with permission of the author Gary Custis from St. Mark Presbyterian's Thoughts on Advent (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment