Friday, December 15, 2017

Waiting

Rebecca and Mom 1985

The girls stood up to sing their part in the St. Mark Christmas program, and for just a moment their glittering halos, sparkling wings and glowing faces made them seem angelic---even to  those of us who knew them so well.

Our daughter Rebecca walked to the pulpit, climbed the step and began "Fear not, for I bring you great tidings of joy. . ."  As her mother,  I was chewing my nails worried that she'd forget her lines. 

Just as she stepped down to return to her seat and I was beginning to relax, my mother turned to me, "She got the role I always wanted.  Every year I wanted to be the angel that said that and every year I was a Chinaman (we represented different countries).  I waited for two generations but tonight, at last, my granddaughter was the angel."  Mother had waited 55 years for that Christmas miracle.


Christmas and waiting seem to go together---waiting for Santa, waiting in line at the store, waiting to wear new Christmas clothes, waiting to open presents and waiting to see your granddaughter as an angel in the Christmas program.


Dear God

During this busy season as we wait with impatience, help us to recall the generations who waited for the birth of the Messiah.  Amen


Luke 2:10-11King James Version (KJV)10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment