Thursday, March 15, 2018

March Madness


“All Joy reminds. It is never a possession, always a desire for something longer ago or further away
or still 'about to be'.” – C.S. Lewis

I asked the congregation this past weekend, “What is your favorite day of the year?” The answers spanned the whole calendar with several members mentioning Christmas, Easter, and Major League Baseball Opening Day. I told everyone December 22nd was my favorite because it is the first day light begins to make a comeback. With that said, this coming weekend might be the best four consecutive days on the calendar. I love March Madness. Even with Mizzou being out the past several years, I still enjoy catching the games and rooting for underdogs from small colleges spread across the country. I probably like these contests more than watching my Tigers play. I know my fandom does not have any impact on the game, but I still pace, scream, and holler at the tube. I try to remind myself that I should not let the play of 18-year-old kids impact me so much, but I still live and die with every possession. It is madness.

So much of our lives are spent living vicariously through the actions of others. When our favorite player, team, or candidate wins, we are on cloud nine, but if/when they lose, we are often despondent. When we are feeling down, we chase after happiness any number of ways. We throw ourselves into our work hoping it will fill us up. We go to Target for some retail therapy. We get a little too invested in a game. Any happy feelings we acquire will be fleeting. As Christians, we are called not to temporary satisfaction but to complete joy.

“My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing” (James 1:2-3.)

As we continue in our Lenten journey, I encourage you to take a look at your life and see if you are chasing after happiness or abiding in joy. My hope is we will all let God’s light permeate our lives no matter what the scoreboard reads.

In Hope and Confidence,
Dave

P.S. One of the best sermons I’ve ever heard on this subject comes from Chariots of Fire where the Presbyterian runner and minister, Eric Liddell, talks about true power coming from God. Click here.

Photo by Isaiah Rustad on Unsplash

Read the Gospels in 40 Days: John 8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment