Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Reflections on "Waking up White"

The Waking up White discussion was led by Julie Northrip on Feb. 8.
 (next session March 14 at 6 PM )

“We need to get comfortable WITH BEING UNCOMFORTABLE” 

As we shared our individual personal ethnic identities and how each of us interpret “racism” it was apparent that each of us is coming from a unique experience. 

Our personal experiences are probably not like those of Debby Irving but I found that her journey as she wrote in her memoir; Waking up White has helped me see racism in a broader context.  

 My own experience was one of a fourth generation American of Mexican heritage who grew up aware of the dominant white culture considering me “the other”.  I grew up in Texas where there was a stream of Mexicans immigrating so I some times was told to “go back where you came from”.  The irony is that when I started my first job in New Jersey I was welcomed with no prejudice but had a friend say she was glad I wasn’t Puerto Rican.  I’ve had the opportunity to travel and meet and work with people from all racial/ethnic and social groups.  As a Christian I strive to treat all with respect and love.  

The Greatest Commandment in Matthew 22:37-40 says “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and the first commandment. And a second is like it you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. 

We are fortunate to have the Bible to guide us in our life’s journey although we don’t always follow. 


Bertha Larez

Read the Gospels in 40 Days: Matthew 22-23


No comments:

Post a Comment