Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Struggle

Luke 23:13-25 The Condemnation of the Crowd
13Pilate then called together the chief priests, the leaders, and the people,
14and said to them, “You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people; and here I have examined him in your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your charges against him.
15Neither has Herod, for Herod, sent him back to us. Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death.
16I will therefore have him flogged and release him.”
18Then they all shouted out together, “Away with this fellow! Release Barabbas for us!”
19(This was a man who had been put in prison for an insurrection that had taken place in the city,
and for murder.)
20Pilate, wanting to release Jesus, addressed them again;
21but they kept shouting, “Crucify, crucify him!”
22A third time he said to them, “Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him flogged and then release him.”
23But they kept urgently demanding with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices prevailed.
24So Pilate gave his verdict that their demand should be granted.
25He released the man they asked for, the one who had been put in prison for insurrection and murder,
and he handed Jesus over as they wished.
=====
I first learned this portion of the holy week story when I was very young, mid-single digits. I was sitting on the couch in the dark, nestled next to my Dad. We were watching a movie on network TV, called “Ben-Hur”.

I very vividly remember the part of the movie where Pilate and the crowd are going back and forth. Pilate is struggling with what to DO with Jesus. Pilate tries to manipulate the crowd by giving them a choice between an innocent man and a convicted murderer.

Surely the crowd would make the right choice regarding what to DO with Jesus. But, no.
I was young.
Yet old enough to know that Jesus was innocent.
How could Pilate give up on Jesus?
I cried.
I would always do the right thing for Jesus.
I would stand up to the crowd.
I would never be like Pilate.
My faith was strong and things seemed so clear and simple when I was young.
================
My reality as an adult is pretty murky.
I often act very much like Pilate...
Just like Pilate, I really, really, really, want to have it all, -- I work hard to DO my job well, do the right things for the innocent, be popular, make everyone happy, to have a comfortable life .

Like Pilate, I don’t handle conflict well. I am ashamed at how many times I have caved under crowd or peer pressure knowing their actions were not right or that they were harming innocent others. Me, Stand up to the crowd?…Not as much as I should.

And my faith? Well, I want it to be strong. But it’s not.

Often, when I think that I have it “all”, my faith seems to fade. I try be grateful. BUT, I know I am really not worthy of “all” these blessings. And well, I’ve thought, said and done so many rotten things, how can I say I’m a Christian?

I certainly haven’t been doing the right things for Jesus.

At the other extreme, in dark times, my faith foundation is always there. I remember enduring the dark days of my first husband’s terminal illness and death. I remember when my children were hospitalized, no clear diagnosis and no relief for their symptoms.

And in so many other dark times …. Jesus was unconditionally present. But, it was a one-way relationship. I received strength and comfort. I took and I took and I took and I took.
I received so much, but I have done so little in return.

Like Pilate, I just can’t seem to figure out what to “DO” with Jesus.
=================
Please pray with me;
God, Jesus, Holy Spirit;
I know what’s right. But I don’t do what’s right.
I look the other way. I try to wash my hands of my responsibility for my sisters and brothers and your creation.
I am not worthy of your abundant blessings
Yet, You are always there in my darkest times, you give me comfort and strength …
I take and I take and I take.
I give so little in return.
God, Jesus, Holy Spirit;
Please. Change me.
Open my mind, my heart, my soul so I hear and obey your calls for my service.
Please.
Change me.
Make my faith strong.

From Maundy Thursday Service 2017, J. Blackwell

Read the Gospels in 40 Days: John 17-18


No comments:

Post a Comment