Tuesday, September 26, 2023

FAITH STORY


do not fear, for I am with you. -Isaiah 41:10

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen - Hebrews 11;1.

engraved on the entrance of a church in Greenwich, England

I have always been a believer since attending Sunday school, helping to teach in high school and sporadically attending as a young adult. Wanting to give my young daughters a Christian education, I was encouraged to join St. Mark in 1983.

A dark time in my life occurred in 1989. My mother had a second heart attack in Florida and being a single mom, it was difficult to travel to her. Three days later my recently divorced husband had a massive heart attack and suddenly died while living in Michigan. Arrangements were made and my girls (ages 14 and 11) and I traveled to New Jersey for his services.

My stress level was extremely high as weeks earlier we moved to a new home and the girls had changed schools. Thoughts were focused on helping the girls get through this and I was just taking one day at a time. Throughout this tough period, I felt sure Jesus was with me. I also knew God and his helpers were providing comfort and hope.

While we had a long recovery, we were in time able to get through this. I was probably a juvenile Christian, but I later realized those experiences helped me grow closer to God.

St. Mark’s small groups and the friendships that developed, have nourished my faith in the subsequent years. It is now very fulfilling to be part of the St. Mark community and I enjoy participating in a number of ways.

Nancy Sutch, September 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment