Monday, December 29, 2014

Letter from John McCall


Dear Friends, Advent 2014

I returned to Taiwan in August after eight months in the U.S. visiting many of my supporting churches. Upon my return, I began a lot of traveling both within Taiwan and in Asia.

As I take buses, subways, trains, and planes, I often notice Christ beside me. The other night I was taking a bus up the mountain to the seminary where I live and the bus driver got on the microphone and told the passengers that he was grateful for our patronage and he wished us health and a good evening. The mostly older folks on the bus all clapped at his blessing.

Every Tuesday I take a train along the blue-green waters of the Pacific Ocean to the aboriginal seminary where I teach. The students give me energy as they lean forward in their seats and engage with the content of my lectures. Sometimes they will find something humorous in what I have said and will a make a joke with the student next to them. They quickly integrate the message of faith with their lives.

St. Mark Presbyterian, Sat evening worship
Last Saturday I took the subway to a city church where I spent the morning with working young adults who are willing to use a Saturday to think about the role of the Holy Spirit in their lives. They work hard all week, but want to grow as Christ’s light and salt in their families, places of work, and in this non-Christian society.

They hunger to live the full life which Christ offers.
After almost eighteen years of living in Taiwan, I continue to be grateful for the way I see Christ take on flesh and blood in their beautiful land. I see resilience in the face of suffering. I see hope in the face of changes. I see joy in the face of busy lives in this high tech land.

The traditional Taiwanese folk gods who are worshipped in the temples here are all people who have done something heroic. They have been deified and now are worshiped as gods who help bring wealth, health, and good fortune.

But the Taiwanese Christians worship a God who was willing to leave a place of honor and become a human being. Christ becomes one of us and moves into our neighbor hood. We see God’s amazing love in the face of Christ around us each day.

May that love fill your days this Advent and in the year to come.

Christmas Blessings, John McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment