Friday, March 1, 2013

A Great Lesson

Romans 8:38-39
I wanted to share with you a faith story that has changed my perspective on life forever.  Last year, when I was traveling on a business trip.  I had the unfortunate fate of being robbed.  My briefcase was stolen from my rental car while I was dining.

This briefcase was very special to me because it was given to me by my wife on our anniversary.  Inside the brief case was everything:  my laptop, planner, palm pilot, and an assortment of other valuable personal/professional items.  I was devastated.  I prayed to God for answers.  Why had such a terrible thing happened to me?  I am a good father, husband and a faithful Christian.  I was consumed with anger and self-pity.


When I finally arrived home late at night my wife told me that her father had passed away earlier that evening.  He had been diagnosed earlier in the year with terminal cancer.  As I looked at my grieving wife, who could not see the father that raised her by himself ever again, and looked upon my children who would never see their beloved grandfather again, I was overcome with guilt and remorse.  How could I have cared so much about things that mattered so little?

Now I had the answer to my prayers.  The Lord taught me a lesson that I will never forget.

Andy Emery for St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional, 2005

1 comment:

  1. Giving thanks for Andy, and all who share their faith journey with us....

    ReplyDelete