Friday, March 8, 2013

The Purpose of the Bible as Written in the Book of John

St. Mark Junior High Sunday School Class, 1980's
John 20: 30-31

Meet your Bible and Discover Life.  That is the title of the curriculum my seventh grade Sunday School class is studying.  As always I am learning as much about our Christian heritage and the teachings in the Bible as my students.  Teaching Sunday School gives me the opportunity to reflect on scripture and gain new insights.  I know I will never know it all.  That is what is so awesome about studying the scriptures and our Christian heritage.  Each revelation is very exciting.



In the summer of 1977, my daughter Sara had just been born and we had been members of Calvary Presbyterian Church in South Pasadena for two years.  The pastor's wife asked me if I would teach Sunday School with her.  That was the beginning of my real Christian journey.  Since then I have only missed one year of teaching Sunday school.  The year we moved to Chesterfield.

Lent is a time to reflect on the many blessings the Lord has given us.  I am thankful for the opportunity to study the Bible in my Koinonia group and with my Sunday school class.  Our church children are truly a gift to all of us.  I am always amazed by their grasp of some very profound ideas.  We should all be proud of them.

"And the word became flesh and lived among us."  John 1:14.  the study Bible you seventh graders are given explains that God sent his Son, Jesus, to live as man so He could communicate with us.  But we must listen and study the word of God to truly understand.

BL for St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment