Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Butterfly Bush

Six years ago my mother came to live with us, as she was having medical difficulties.  Unfortunately, the prognosis was not good and she entered a hospice program.  In our efforts to make her comfortable, I decided to plant a butterfly bush just outside her window hoping it would attract one of her favorite species---the butterfly.



Weeks passed, and as we were busy attending to mother's needs, I did not notice how the bush was growing.  One July evening my mother passed away.  Later I learned she had commented on the beautiful white blooms and a couple of butterflies hovering near the bush.  A few days following her death, the butterfly bush was in full bloom and surrounded with butterflies!  This made me feel so joyful in the midst of my grief.

Every summer, this sturdy bush grows larger and blooms at nearly the exact day of her passing.  As the fragrant blooms and fluttering butterflies return each year at that time, I am reminded of the promises of God's continuing love for us and His presence in our life.  In nature's beauty we can find many examples of God's presence, the assurance of everlasting life.  We only need look around. . .

Isn't it a remarkable coincidence that my mother's maiden name was B.Bush?

Nancy Sutch for St. Mark Presbyterian's Lenten Devotional 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment