Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Calls For Help

It was Maundy Thursday, 1996.  One minute I was on the highway, and the next thing I knew I was waking up looking at two deflated airbags hanging from my dash.  I had no windows on the passenger's side and the trunk lid was laying in my back seat.  My attempts to call for help were futile.  I cried a lot and prayed incessantly that someone would find me in this 40 foot ravine under Interstate 70.  Luck was certainly not on my side, had God abandoned me too?



The following morning,  I realized my only option was to leave my car.  I pulled an old board close to the door for leverage in the mud and stepped out.  The pain was so great I fell to my knees and began crawling.  I went 100 yards when someone saw me and called for help.

My long road to recovery began.  I had broken my wrist and ankle, suffered from hypothermia, possibly kidney damage, and crushed my other heel.  I was told I might lose one foot, and I knew I would lose my job as a flight attendant if that happened. After five surgeries and as many weeks in the hospital, God answered the many prayers that had been said, and my foot finally showed improvement.  I could have the final surgery to repair my foot.

I heard from my pastors, friends and hospital staff that I should thank God I was alive.  I had a strong faith, why wasn't I feeling that way?  I felt that heaven was a better alternative, and my guilt was bothering me.  I'd been praying that God would heal and help me, and give me the strength I needed for my recovery.  How could I not be grateful!  I had a new mission and I prayed, "God help me know why I should be thankful."  My friend, Julie, and I had many talks about our spiritual journeys.  During one of them I finally realized why I needed to be grateful and thank God.  I could have easily been a quadriplegic the rest of my life.  I needed to thank God I was alive, but what I really needed to thank Him for was the "quality" of life I was given.

Every Easter I am reminded of my accident and the horrible pain I suffered.  However, I also know that my pain and suffering were nothing compared to what Jesus did for me.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your only begotten son to die for us so that our sins are forgiven and we may have everlasting life.  May we always be thankful for the new life we have through Him.  Amen.

PK for St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment