Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hope for Our Future

Genesis 9:12  "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between Me and you. . .


One Sunday in August, I was teaching the middle school group and decided to evoke some responses to the scripture verse on a poster in the classroom.  We had been talking about how sometimes we get down and find it easy to forget that we can have hope for our futures.  So I asked each student to respond to the scripture verse and tell me what they hoped for themselves and for others at home and at school and in other places.  These are some of their thoughtful responses that they gave me permission to share:



LM (7th grade):  "I hope that someday I'll be successful in whatever career path I choose, to be able to live comfortable with the ones I love and who love me and to continue my journey of faith.  I hope that others find their rightful place in the world and do not corrupt themselves or others."

HL (8th grade):  "I hope for myself that I will always be loved by God no matter what. I hope for the same with others, to have good faith."

ED (7th grade):  "I hope for myself that I will try to follow God's word, try not to give up on things, cause I know God is telling me to keep trying.  I hope for others to pray to God and to believe that they aren't alone.  They have God."

LM (6th grade):  "I hope that I become a strong believer in the word.  I have a strong faith in the Lord and worship Him regularly and love God with all my heart.  I hope that all people become strong believers in God and His miracles and worship Him."

What an invaluable "resource" our youth are in our church!  How important it is to help them on their faith journeys---and to assure them that God does indeed give us hope for our futures.

R. P. and the St. Mark Middle School Group for the St. Mark Presbyterian Lenten Devotional, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment